The fiddle leaf fig is a popular houseplant that many people enjoy.
However, it’s important to know if the fiddle leaf fig is toxic to cats before you bring one home.
In this article, we’ll look at what makes these plants poisonous and whether or not they’re safe for your cat.
- 1 What Are Fiddle Leaf Figs?
- 2 Are Fiddle Leaf Figs Toxic to Cats?
- 3 Why Are Fiddle Leaf Figs Dangerous To Cats?
- 4 The Symptoms of Fiddle Leaf Fig Poisoning
- 5 What to Do If Your Cat Eat Fiddle Leaf Figs?
- 6 How toxic are fiddle leaf figs?
- 7 What indoor plant is safe for cats?
- 8 Is ficus lyrata toxic to cats?
- 9 Are cats attracted to fiddle leaf figs?
- 10 Conclusion
What Are Fiddle Leaf Figs?
The fiddle leaf figs in the mulberry family are a popular houseplant.
They have unique-looking leaves that make them a unique addition to a home or office space.
The plant is native to western Africa and can be found all over the world today – from Florida through Central America up into Southern California.
However, it can be challenging to care for.
It’s important to research the plant before adding it into your home or office space so you can properly maintain its needs – including knowing whether or not it is toxic to cats!
Are Fiddle Leaf Figs Toxic to Cats?
The mulberry family includes fiddle leaf figs, which may be poisonous if ingested by cats or other pets.
The sap from the plant is white and sticky, which may be irritating to some people and animals.
This sap can cause skin blistering as well – another reason why you’ll want to keep it out of sight!
It can cause oral and digestive tract irritation, as well as other symptoms such as an upset stomach if ingested.
There are tiny crystals of calcium oxalate which can burn or cause pain to your pets’ mouths – this is why it may be best not to have the plant out in plain sight for pet owners.
If you do plan on having them in your home, make sure they are kept out of reach from pets and children.
In addition to avoiding the plant altogether, you may want to keep it in a high spot that is unreachable by pet paws or curious hands.
Why Are Fiddle Leaf Figs Dangerous To Cats?
Because insoluble calcium oxalates are what cause these plants to be harmful, your cat can’t digest them.
“Insoluble” refers to the fact that these tiny stones won’t dissolve within your cat’s system and will instead lodge themselves deep into its gastrointestinal tract.
Offering no danger to your cat doesn’t make insoluble calcium oxalates any less unpleasant, though.
Another possible complication is that the insoluble calcium oxalates may attract intestinal parasites.
Even if your cat doesn’t eat any of these plants, it could suffer from their presence in its environment.
Typically, fiddle leaf figs are safe for cats to be around unless they start chewing on them or ingesting parts of the plant.
The Symptoms of Fiddle Leaf Fig Poisoning
There are no specific symptoms for fiddle leaf fig poisoning, but your cat will likely display some discomfort.
The sap might cause skin irritation if it touches any area of their body. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, mouth discomfort, skin irritation, vomiting, and a decreased appetite.
What to Do If Your Cat Eat Fiddle Leaf Figs?
You can try to induce vomiting by giving your cat a small amount of milk or ice cream.
Be aware that if they have eaten the leaves, this will not remove any poisonous material from their body.
If you are at all concerned about poisoning, take them to see an emergency veterinarian without delay.
Don’t wait for symptoms to appear, as time is critical.
Here are some suggestions for a safe and quick recovery:
- Keep them calm.
- Carefully monitor their symptoms.
- Feed your cat milk.
- Give your cat plenty of water to make sure they don’t get dehydrated from vomiting or diarrhea, which can be serious complications resulting in hospitalization.
If you find the symptom of your cats is very severe, you need to take them to the vet as soon as possible.
So, your cat may need to get treatment to prevent any further illness.
The insoluble calcium oxalates are the source of moderate poisoning, so you can cure your cat at home because they are not life-threatening.
How toxic are fiddle leaf figs?
In addition to being one of the most common houseplants, philodendrons may also be dangerous.
This plant’s leaves produce crystals of the poisonous calcium oxalate compound known as “fiddle leaf figs.”
It’s OK for adults to nibble on the fiddle leaf philodendron, but for youngsters and dogs, the entire family of philodendrons is severely poisonous.
What indoor plant is safe for cats?
Spider plants, money plants, and Boston ferns are popular pet-safe houseplants.
The pesticides used to maintain a plant pest-free may still be hazardous, even if the plant itself is pet-friendly.
Devil’s ivy, snake plants, and fiddle-leaf figs are some of the most common indoor plants that are harmful to pets.
Is ficus lyrata toxic to cats?
If swallowed, it can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, and vomiting in cats and dogs.
Are cats attracted to fiddle leaf figs?
Because of this, getting one of these Instagram-friendly plants into your house might be a risk.
Cats are drawn to the large leaves because they enjoy whacking around in the leaves.
How do I keep my cat away from my fiddle leaf fig?
- Cats can be deterred from entering the pot by placing Defender Spikes within.
- The final product.
- Cutting chicken wire to fit my needs was simple.
- My Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree has been my worst headache.
Fiddle leaf figs are a popular indoor plant due to their attractive, large leaves and ability to grow in low light conditions.
If you’re worried about your cat eating any of these plants, there’s no need to worry because the effects of fiddle leaf fig poisoning are not life-threatening.
The most that can happen if they eat it is stomach cramps or mouth irritation.
However, if ingested enough times over an extended period of time (months), kidney stones may form, which could lead to other health problems like liver disease.
It takes around 24 hours for the effects of Fistle Leaf Fig poisoning to wear off by drinking plenty of milk and water.
And, you should be able to alleviate them all together with this simple treatment plan.