Are Mums Toxic To Cats?

Have you heard the news? Mums are toxic to cats!

This is horrifying news to anyone who has ever owned a cat or dog in their lifetime!

However, there is some validity to the idea that cats are better off without mums around – at least for the first few months.

Read on to discover why cats are better off without mums around and how to make the transition as painless and psychologically safe as possible for your precious pet!

What Are Mums?

A mum is a plant used in landscaping, most often grown for its decorative and scented flowers.

Mums are grown from different types of bulbs and rhizomes. They bloom from late fall through early spring and come in a wide variety of shapes and colors, including whites, yellows, pinks, purples, and reds.

The flower heads can be slightly fragrant and most have showy foliage that compliments the flower colors. Many gardeners prefer mums to other types of ornamentals for their beauty and versatility.

Mums can be planted in a variety of spots in the garden and will thrive in nearly any climate but require full sun to bloom well.Mums are perennials that grow quickly from seed and flower in late summer through fall in most zones of the US.

Mums (Chrysanthemums) are available in a variety of flower shapes including round balls, star-shaped flowers, and fancy frilly flowers that contrast well with common garden foliage like grass or shrubs.

Varieties of mums can be grown as annuals where they are re-planted each year but are often grown as a perennial where they are planted as permanent plants in the garden’s landscape.

Planting mums is often done in the fall for a fall garden display or in the spring for spring blooms.

Are Mums Poisonous To Cats?

Cats often experience stomach pain and vomiting after consuming Mums that contain chemicals like Cobalt or Arsenic.

These chemicals are toxic to cats, and may cause your cat to suffer from kidney failure and other problems if untreated. Take your cat to the clinic as soon as possible to alleviate its pain.

A licensed vet can detect and treat any poisonous substances in your cat’s system and help it recover quickly from poisoning.

Cats that consume Mums contaminated with poisonous substances should have stomach fluid and blood samples taken for testing to help determine the origin of the poison and any long-term health effects it might have on your cat’s health.

Meanwhile , your vet may give you special instructions to help treat your cat’s symptoms, which include:

  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Diarrhea
  • Weakness and lethargy
  • Hair loss

What Should You Do To Protect Your Kitty?

Although mums can be toxic to cats, there are ways to keep your pet safe when it’s around mums.

First, make sure the mums in your garden are well out of reach of your pets by keeping them close to the ground or behind a fence or wall.

Don’t plant them next to your walkway or driveway where your cat might easily jump over the fence and wander into your garden to get at the mums.The chemicals used as preservatives in some Mums are potentially poisonous to cats, and are similar to those in antifreeze.

Cats are particularly sensitive to the effects of these chemicals and they can cause kidney damage if ingested or absorbed through the skin.

High levels of these chemicals are often found in brightly coloured flowers that attract bees to pollinate them – so avoid planting these flowers next to walkways and driveways, where your cat might see them as a tempting treat.

Why Are Mums Poisonous?

Mums are toxic to cats because cats are carnivores who eat animals that are saturated with these poisons and mums are a plant that is saturated in them.

Within a few hours, a kitten might experience tremors and convulsions if mum is ingested.

When a cat comes into contact with these toxic compounds, it can result in skin inflammation or irritation.

These toxins may cause hyper-salvation and digestive tract irritation in cats and other pets.

Mums don’t have to worry about pests eating them because most bugs avoid them due to their smell.

What Happens If Cats Eat Mums?

Mums contain poisonous components like pyrethrins.

According to the ASPCA and other organizations, cats may suffer from sickness and diarrhea if they consume mums.

Although a cat’s tolerance for chrysanthemums varies, some cats can become sick after consuming even small quantities of the flowers or leaves.

The level of poison your cat receives will be dependent upon how intensely it chases after the blooms that are hanging down or laying on the ground.

A rash and discomfort might result if your cat rubs up against your mum’s plant exposed skin.

There is a risk if your feline friend chomps up some flowers that might not be prepared for the occasion.

Also Read: Can Cats Eat Graham Crackers?

What To Do If Your Cat Ingested Mums?

You should take your cat to the veterinarian immediately if severe symptoms occur, such as prolonged vomiting, lethargy or weakness, convulsions or breathing difficulties.

Cats with mild episodes of mum poisoning may normally be discharged after a few days of hospitalization.

Vomiting may be induced by your veterinarian to enable the removal of undigested toxins from the stomach and intestines.

Activated charcoal may be used to help absorb any remaining toxins in your cat’s stomach.

IV fluid therapy is continued for several days following the instances of mum ingestion.

Cats that have been vomiting for a longer period may experience dehydration from fluid loss and thus require additional fluids through intravenous administration.

Final Words

Mums are toxic to elephants as properly as canines.

Vomiting, skin irritation, incoordination, hyper-salivation, and diarrhea, are other known symptoms of consuming mums.

The same as with dogs, cats have stomachs which can be upset by eating too much sweet foods. Unlike dogs though, most cats can’t vomit up the food that is gotten into their mouths.

Instead they will likely bloat or eat the substance back up. This is the most effective approach and might be called vomiting in cats.

Vomiting is the most frequent symptom.

Mums are seldom fatal to cats, but can result in serious intestinal illness. So, once your cat eat moms, you can call a consultant immediately.