An outbreak of toxicuppeton able to reach your home through your calico’s bite or scratching.
Once the fungus takes effect, your feline will experience a set of unpleasant symptoms. These include cough, vomiting, and IBD.
Contact your vet if you suspect your calico has toxicuppeton. So, are philodendron toxic to cats?
Philodendron are toxic to cats is a common question for people who have these houseplants in their home. This tropical plant is very common and cheap to buy in nurseries and supermarkets.
While philodendron are toxic to cats is a myth, the foliage of this plant contains oxalate crystals that are quite poisonous to cats if ingested. This is especially harmful to kittens and pregnant cats.
The calcium oxalate crystals can cause digestive issues if eaten and can lead to a blockage of the digestive tract if your cat swallows the foliage whole.
Let’s start now!
What Is Philodendron?
Philodendron is a genus of flowering plants in the Araceae family, which comprises around 400 species of plants native to tropical regions.
Most philodendrons are epiphytes, growing naturally on trees or shrubs in the rainforest canopy of Central and South America.
Some species of philodendrons are grown as houseplants in temperate regions around the world, although their precise growth requirements vary.
Philodendrons produce roots from aerial meristems and are rhizomatous, often producing cord-like rhizomes that extend downwards from the growing crown.
Phytotoxic calcium oxalate crystals are present in all species within the genus philodendron, but are especially concentrated in the foliage of some cultivars.
Are Philodendron Toxic To Cats?
According to the ASPCA, philodendron are toxic to cats if ingested.
Philodendron is an appealing houseplant because of its large, bold and tropical-looking foliage.
Some have tear-dropped leaves, and others are heart-shaped, but whatever their shape, philodendron are toxic to cats if ingested.
Cats are poisoned by philodendron, and thus should be removed from the home if a pet is present.
When a cat eats too much philodendron, it may cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Consumption of more than 1/4 of the plant by an adult cat could cause death in as little as four hours.
Toxic amounts of the plant should not be consumed if your cat is pregnant or nursing at any time.
If your cat has consumed a toxic amount of the plant, contact your veterinarian immediately.
The vet will induce vomiting and administer activated charcoal to help absorb any toxins that might be inside the cat’s body.
How Poisonous Is Philodendron To Cats?
Philodendron is somewhat toxic to cats and some domestic pets.
The plants may poison if ingested, causing vomiting and diarrhea in animals.
The symptoms will depend on the amount of the plant ingested by your cat.
Vomiting or swelling in your kitty’s face, tongue, gums or throat could indicate a poisoning risk. More serious symptoms include seizures and kidney failure.
While philodendron is toxic to cats is a myth, the foliage of this plant contains oxalate crystals that are quite poisonous to cats if ingested.
This is especially harmful to kittens and pregnant cats.
The Symptoms of Philodendron Poisoning in Cats
If your cats are still able to sink their teeth into the plant, they may become very ill or even die from eating the leaves.
Twitching, diarrhoea, vomiting, swallowing of the fur, unsteady gait and tremors are a few symptoms that may show up due to philodendron poisoning in cats.
You should immediately take your cat to a veterinarian if you suspect it ingested philodendron leaves or stems.
She may need immediate medical monitoring while at the vet’s office.
If the cat is also sick or is pregnant or nursing, contact the vet immediately and the doctor may recommend hospitalization for her.
After cats are poisoned by philodendron, the vet will induce vomiting in most cases.
If the cat has eaten the leaves of the plant, the vet may rinse the mouth out with a saline solution to help remove some of the toxins from the mouth.
How To Treat Philodendron Poisoning In Cats?
Symptomatic signs from ingesting philodendron can be reversed with proper veterinary care.
Many symptoms of interaction with calcium oxalate crystals from ingesting philodendron are reversible with treatment.
Treatment for symptoms of ingestion can include monitoring for kidney failure or electrolyte imbalances, and the administration of activated charcoal to bind to toxins and remove them from your cat’s system.
If your cat is showing signs of acute kidney failure or has low potassium levels, treatment may include fluid therapy and electrolyte support with intravenous fluids and intravenous potassium supplementation.
If your cat chooses to consume huge quantities of plant material from the philodendron plant, it is suffering from kidney inflammation, and your vet may recommend multiple treatments.
Also Read: Can Cats Eat Eggplant?
In conclusion, several houseplants are toxic to cats if ingested and can cause digestive issues if eaten.
These houseplants include philodendron, dieffenbachia, peace lily and kalanchoe (torch lily) plants.
The foliage of these plants contain oxalate crystals that are quite poisonous to cats if ingested.
These plants should be avoided and should be removed from the house if your cat frequently chews on them or licks them from the floor.
So, you need to keep your cat away from philodendron plants.