Hyacinths are one of the loveliest spring flowers to have in your garden, but did you know they can be dangerous to cats?
While they look beautiful and are stunning additions to the garden, these flowers can cause severe irritation and discomfort to cats and make cats very ill.
You might be wondering why so, so here it is: the bulb contains the toxin colchicine.
This chemical compound can be fatal if ingested by cats and can cause severe vomiting, diarrhoea and excessive drooling.
These symptoms can lead to kidney failure in cats and require veterinary treatment.
Hyacinth bulbs contain between 50-100mg of colchicine per kg, making the bulbs toxic for cats if ingested in large amounts.
Vets often see cats that have had high levels of colchicine in their systems due to ingesting the bulbs, and these symptoms can be fatal if untreated.
So remember that keep your cat away from the hyacinths and call your vet immediately if you think your cat has ingested any of the flowers or bulbs.
- 1 What Is Hyacinths?
- 2 Are Hyacinths Dangerous to Cats?
- 3 How Hyacinths Are Dangerous to Cats?
- 4 Symptoms of Hyacinth Poisoning in Cats
- 5 What You Should Do If Your Cat Has Ingested an Hyacinth?
- 6 What You Can Do to Prevent Your Cat from Poisoning Himself with Hyacinths
- 7 Conclusion
What Is Hyacinths?
Hyacinthus orientalis is the source of most garden hyacinths.
Most species have four narrow, grass-like leaves and bell-shaped flowers that arise from the seed.
The oxalic acid in hyacinths is poisonous to cats.
Herbs of the family Asparagaceae, previously known as the Hyacinthaceae, are popular among gardeners for their decorative flowers, often with highly fragrant or showy colors.
Are Hyacinths Dangerous to Cats?
Hyacinths are beautiful garden plants and come in many colors from blue to pink to white to purple.
The flowers grow from bulbs and bloom in the spring and early summer. The blooms of hyacinths are fragrant and make wonderful cut flowers in vases.
The plants are beautiful to look at and anyone having access to the garden will want to see them bloom each year.
However, this beauty comes at a terrible cost to cats if they decide to eat them.
The bulbs and blooms of the hyacinth plant are poisonous to cats. The leaves are also toxic, but they are not as highly toxic as the bulb or blooms are.
How Hyacinths Are Dangerous to Cats?
Allergenic lactones, found in high concentrations in hyacinths cause damage to the gastrointestinal system in cats.
Poisoning symptoms such as vomiting, drooling, nausea, and diarrhea require immediate veterinary attention to prevent progression to more severe complications.
As soon as you see your cat showing any symptom of poison ingestion, seek veterinary aid immediately.
Symptoms of Hyacinth Poisoning in Cats
Signs of toxicity in cats include vomiting and diarrhea within 3-4 hours if ingested and chronic renal failure which can occur within 24 hours of ingestion in severe cases.
If your cat has access to the plant and ingests it, a trip to your veterinarian is necessary immediately, as the damage is irreversible after that time.
Vomiting is a symptom for certain health problems in cats, and it’s often a clear indication that something’s wrong in your cat’s body.
When a cat is vomiting, it means that your cat’s stomach or intestines are either producing too much acid or have ingested something toxic or poisonous.
If too much acid is produced, your cat’s stomach may empty its contents onto the carpet or floor or regurgitate the food she just ate.
Vomiting can also be caused by intestinal parasites such as roundworms and tapeworms. Vomiting can also be brought on by stress, anxiety, or overexcitement by your cat.
Diarrhea can occur when your cat eats hyacinth bulbs and flowers.
Your cat might eat the plant out of curiosity or by accident if it’s growing near where it lives or has access to.
The taste of hyacinth petals may be a good incentive for your curious feline to taste them.
Symptoms of diarrhea are frequent loose or watery stools. Your kitty may vomit after ingesting the bulbs or flowers of hyacinths.
Severe stomach distress may set in if your cat has eaten it in large quantities or has eaten multiple plants.
If your cat has eaten the bulbs or flowers of hyacinths, you should seek veterinary attention right away because in most cases, it’s fatal if left untreated.
Rapid Breathing Due to Fluid Accumulation in the Lungs
Fluid accumulation in the lungs can cause rapid breathing in cats if it is not treated in time.
In most cases, fluid accumulation is caused by pneumonia or a secondary infection contracted elsewhere in the body.
A cat may need rest or oxygen therapy in the case of pneumonia and antibiotics or fluid therapy in the case of a secondary infection.
If fluid accumulation in the lungs is left untreated, it can result in difficulty breathing and death in cats.
What You Should Do If Your Cat Has Ingested an Hyacinth?
If your cat eats a hyacinth flower or bulb, you should monitor the cat closely for lethargy, weakness, or vomiting.
If the cat is lethargic or vomiting, contact their veterinarian immediately.
If the cat is otherwise healthy and vomits one or two times without other clinical signs, they may recover on their own without treatment; however, if vomiting persists for more than twenty-four hours, contact a veterinarian immediately.
In addition , if your cat shows symptoms of severe stomach distress or continues to eat the plant after vomiting, seek veterinary attention immediately.
Your veterinarian will perform a physical examination and ask questions about your cat’s health in order to determine the severity of the symptoms.
Also Read: Can Cats Eat Poppy Seeds?
What You Can Do to Prevent Your Cat from Poisoning Himself with Hyacinths
You can keep your cat safe from the hazards of hyacinth plants without curtailing their beauty.
Hyacinth plants are beautiful, but they might pose a danger to your pet if they are left unchecked.
To begin, make sure that your cat cannot get to the garden or yard where the hyacinths are planted.
Indoor hyacinths should be watered outdoors so that you don’t risk your cat drinking their poisonous juices; you can spray the plant with water using a garden sprayer instead.
You can grow as many hyacinths as you would like in the yard without worrying that your cat will eat them.
The eaves of your home are a safe zone for cats, and though they may enjoy chewing on leaves of your plants, they are not likely to eat enough of the plant to cause a problem.
In conclusion, it is important to keep cats away from hyacinth plants because these plants are toxic to cats.
So, Cat-proof your garden and yard if you for some reason cannot remove the bulbs or the blooms. They may irritate your skin if they come into touch with it.
If you suspect that your cat has ingested the plant, contact your veterinarian immediately.