Can Cats Drink Lemon Water?

Cats can’t drink lemon water, and it’s a common concern for dog owners.

It’s essential to feed the cats lemon water every day to prevent this from happening. So, can cats drink lemon water?

Cats can’t drink lemon water because they don’t have the necessary enzymes in their stomach to break down the citric acids in lemons and limes. As a result, drinking citrus juices can cause gastrointestinal upset and even damage the digestive tract.

Let’s dive in!

Can Cats Drink Lemon Water?

There is no need for cats to drink lemon water and as previously mentioned the citric acids can cause problems.

The acid can burn the lining of their stomach and esophagus and cause vomiting, diarrhea and other symptoms.

The high vitamin C and citric acid in lemons can also make it very difficult for cats to digest, and they can develop slow blood clotting which could pose serious health risks.

Do Cats Like Lemon Juice?

Lemon juice is unpalatable to cats and completely unhygienic!

If you insist on getting your cat to drink it, research how to properly dilute the juice. Another option is to dilute the juice with water and feed it to the cat as a treat.

Some dogs may even be able to take it, but each instance is different. If you insist on giving your cat a watered down lemon drink; be sure to inquire from your veterinarian to make sure it’s not harming your cat in any way.

Signs Of Lemon Poisoning In Cats

Depending on how much lemon your kitty consumed, these symptoms can be mild or severe.

A lack of appetite, diarrhea, and vomiting are some of the most common symptoms which present themselves right away after ingestion. In serious cases, a lemon toxicity can be fatal.

Cats can’t drink lemon water as it is full of citric acids and can cause stomach upset leading to dehydration. The acid from lemons can erode the enamel on the teeth of the cats which can result in irreversible damage over time.

Greater dosage results in more severe clinical symptoms, including excessive salivation, vomiting blood, and lethargy.

Lemon poisoning in cats should not be taken lightly and should be sought immediately from a veterinarian.

If you think your kitty has ingested some lemon juice do not provide any home remedies just take them to a vet right away!

Will Lemon Water Hurt My Cat?

Yes, lemon water may hurt your cat.

Cats may be poisoned by lemons if too much lemon juice is swallowed by them and the amount being swallowed may be only very little or even none.

Their toxicity is exacerbated by the citric acid content of lemons and this may lead to kidney failure if consumed in large amounts over a period of time.

limonene is the chemical compound that gives lemons their aroma and it is also present in the oil extracted from lemons and orange peels.

The severity of your cat’s symptoms may depend on how much lemon juice or limonene was ingested and the time that has passed since the ingestion.

Can Lemon Juice Kill my Cat?

Cats are poisoned by the chemicals found in lemons but some cats are particularly sensitive and may require immediate medical attention particularly if they have been vomiting and exhibiting lethargy.

Citrus fruits, in particular lemons, contain a very strong acid called citric acid which may lead to kidney failure in cats if it is ingested in large amounts.

Also Read: Can Cats Eat Lemon Juice?

How Much Lemon Juice Is Safe For My Cat To Drink?

When given even a little quantity of lemon juice or water extract from lemons cats usually develop vomiting and diarrhea within a few minutes.

The acidity of the fruit can erode the enamel on the teeth of the cat causing serious dental problems.

If your cat has experienced any symptoms requiring medical attention consult your vet immediately and mention the amount of lemon juice that the cat may have consumed.


Cats can’t drink lemon water because it’s bad for their health.

Cats aren’t meant to consume citrus juices, so feeding them lemon water can cause gastrointestinal upset and stomach ulcers. This can lead to further health problems and can even be fatal for cats.

To prevent this from happening, give your cat filtered water instead.