My cat, String, devoured my red nylon string last week.
It was my first encounter with such a strange, oral material. Thankfully, my pet had no ill effects.
I poll conducted friends and found almost everyone had similar experiences with their cats. So, what should you do if your cat ate string a week ago?
I don’t know how my cat got my string. It could have been a stray piece of fishing line he found on the garage roof or a bit of yarn from a project I was working on.
String is not toxic for cats. However, it can cause intestinal blockages if eaten in large doses.
Luckily, my cat only ingested a small amount and recovered quickly with no complications. I fed him some water and took him to the vet for an examination.
He checked out fine with no intestinal blockage or other injuries. The vet recommended that I feed him a bland diet for several days and avoid all string toys to ensure he does not eat any more string in the future.
- 1 Why Are Strings, Threads, and Ribbons Dangerous for Cats?
- 2 What Should You Do If Your Cat Ate String A Week Ago?
- 3 How Do I Stop My Cat From Eating String?
- 4 Conclusion
Why Are Strings, Threads, and Ribbons Dangerous for Cats?
Other harmful things might be on the string like toxins from pesticides and poisonous plants like aloe.
Cats may swallow a needle hooked to a string or thread.
Cats may also ingest the thread or fabric from sewing projects or clothing with the thread still attached.
Linear Foreign Body
If a length of thread enters a cat’s intestines, it may become trapped or wrapped and prevent food from passing through it normally.
A common foreign body for cats is string or fishing line.
Linear foreign bodies are not themselves an obstruction, but they can prevent the passage of food into the cat’s small intestines.
Foreign Body in the Stomach
The thread might get wrapped around the intestines or in the stomach and block the passage of food into the small intestines.
Because most ribbons, strings, and threads are made out of polypropylene or nylon, they are quite strong, and when wrapped around the intestines or in the stomach they can cause intense.
This causes inflammation and damage to tissues lining the intestines.
Obstructions in the Mouth
They have the potential to damage your cat’s mouth and throat or to become lodged in the throat and obstruct breathing or cause choking.
The motions of a cat’s tongue and the barbs on a cat’s teeth can tear a thread or ribbon or cut a fishing line.
The barbs keep strings from slipping out of a cat’s mouth.
The thread may then get entangled between the teeth and around the tongue or tooth surfaces.
What Should You Do If Your Cat Ate String A Week Ago?
Concentrate on the Cat’s Symptoms
You should also note the way the thread is tied up.
If the cat isn’t showing any obvious symptoms, you may induce vomiting to get rid of it.
It is not a safe choice if the cat is still eating the string or ribbon, as it may just pass into the intestine and cause more problems.
However, if the cat is exhibiting clear signs of discomfort or if it has already ingested the string, then inducing vomiting is the best solution.
They may need to visit a vet if a ribbon or string is short enough to potentially cause an obstruction.
This is an important factor to consider, and the cat should be examined by a vet before undergoing any treatment.
With the assistance of a veterinarian, you can attempt to remove a ribbon with a tweezers.
During Defecation, Do Not Pull the String.
If a cat ate string a week ago, then it can already be causing some issues such as discomfort and even stomach problems.
This may allow the cat to regurgitate the string, so it is best to have a veterinarian wipe out the mouth with a wet cloth before inducing vomiting.
Shorter strings will pass through a cat’s intestinal tract naturally and may cause no issues.
However, tugging the thread as it begins to push through the cat’s intestinal tract may cause an intestinal blockage to occur, so it is best to have a veterinarian remove the thread.
You could think you’re helping the feline by inducing vomiting for a ribbon or string that is stuck up its bottom, but it is actually just making things worse.
String may get entangled in the intestinal tract causing intestinal blockage and death if it’s too tightly knotted up.
Tugging on it will cause it to bunch up tighter, and if it is tied in a knot or has a loop in it, it can get stuck causing an obstruction.
Simply for this stress alone, it is best to leave the job to a veterinarian who can make sure the string comes out without traumatizing the cat any further.
Consult a Veterinarian Right Away.
You may consult a veterinarian right away if your cat ate a string a weeks ago.
This is an important step since the problem may cause problems in the near future but they may not show yet.
You don’t want the thread to cut off blood supply to the cat’s intestines or cause a painful obstruction.
This is the kind of injury that veterinarians are trained to handle, and removing the thread from the intestines is no easy task.
Some cats have also choked on ribbon, but in such cases, the tongue was not affected.
A veterinarian may perform a battery of tests to determine the extent of damage done from the ribbon to the esophagus and body systems.
How Do I Stop My Cat From Eating String?
Prevention is the greatest plan in this case since the problem may get worse if the cat is not treated early and corrected accordingly.
Strings, tinsel, ribbons, threads, and other similar items should be kept away from the cat’s reach.
If you remove strings from your cat’s toys putting them in plastic bags and storing them out of sight are two good precautions to take to stop them from consuming them.
Other objects should be stored in a box with a lock and key to prevent your curious pet from getting to them.
This is particularly true for ribbons and bows that are often used to decorate our homes during holidays or decorations used at special occasions.
Also Read: Can Cats Have String Cheese?
Ribbon, string, and thread may all be dangerous to your cat and can cause severe internal damage that may prove fatal is left untreated.
String is a favorite of cats, and if ingested, it can wrap around the tongue and cause choking.
String produces a linear foreign body that can also cause the following extreme difficulties: The string may wrap around the esophagus and block its exit points and therefore can lead to vomiting.
If your cat has eaten string, get expert veterinarian treatment from your vet as soon as possible.